with Mexican coleslaw, avocado, sprouts and chipotle crema
Make the lentils
– Rinse the lentils under cold water a few times.
– Slice the onion in half, then chop 1/2 of it and 2 cloves of garlic finely. Set aside the other half of an onion. Preheat a medium sauce pan over medium heat and once hot add 1 tablespoon of oil, then add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes then add the Mexican seasoning and 1/2 a teaspoon of cumin, stir and cook for 3 minutes more. Add the lentils, salt and 1 cup of water; cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 30-35 minutes until lentils are tender. Taste and adjust salt.
Make the slaw
– Slice the remaining onion in 2 and thinly slice one half of it. Reserve the rest of the onion for future use as you do not need it for this recipe.
– Chop the cilantro and transfer to a bowl with the sliced onion and cabbage.
– In a small bowl, add the juice of 1/2 a lime, pressed garlic clove, the remaining cumin, salt and 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Combine with the slaw and mix well. Taste and adjust salt.
Warm the tortillas
– Preheat a pan over high heat and once hot place 1 tortilla at a time. Cook for about 30 seconds on each side. Tortillas should be soft and pliable. Place the warm tortillas in a towel to keep warm.
Assemble the tacos
– Slice the avocado into strips
– Layer each tortilla with coleslaw, lentils, slices of avocado, sprouts and top with crema. Enjoy!