with rice, and a cucumber and red cabbage slaw
1 tbsp ginger
4 garlic cloves
1.5 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp apple cider
1/2 cup basmati rice
Make the rice
– Rinse the rice a few times until water runs clear, then cover with 1 cup of water, a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover with a lid and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
Make the chickpeas
– Chop the cilantro, onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes
– Place the fennel seeds, caraway seeds, cloves and bay leaves into a large pan and set over medium-high heat. Toast for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add 2 tablespoons of oil, followed by the onions, cook for 5 minutes then add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the garam masala and as much cayenne pepper as you like; stir and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook for 7-10 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and have lost their shape. Add the drained can of chickpeas, 1 cup of water, taste and season with salt, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Using a fork or a potato masher, mash a few chickpeas right in the pan to thicken the sauce a little bit. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add the cilantro into the pan right before serving and mix. Note: you will have leftover chickpeas from this recipe.
Make the slaw
– Slice the shallot in half and thinly slice one half of it. Thinly cut the cucumber into half-moons.
– Place the cabbage, cucumber and shallots in a bowl and add the apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt.
– Divide the rice and chana masala between 2 plates, and place on one side of the plate, place the slaw on the other side. Enjoy!